A weekly series that explores a featured theme by pairing classic quotations with urgent images. What recent news items inspired these textual/visual sets? Leave your guesses in the comments, and check back next Wednesday for the answers.
“Aesthetic pleasure in the beautiful consists, to a large extent, in the fact that, when we enter the state of pure contemplation, we are raised for the moment above all willing, above all desires and cares; we are, so to speak, rid of ourselves.”
“Shame is a soul eating emotion.”
“Don’t think of yourself as a surrogate mule, think of yourself as an entrepreneur of the physical.”
―George Saunders (from CivilWarLand in Bad Decline)
“Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.”
"There are still subjects that are in the Realm of Pain Beyond Uncomebackability."
—Bill Peters (from Maverick Jetpants in the City of Quality)
Do you see the connections? Write your guesses in the comments — and feel free to leave your own "uncomebackable" quotes — and check in next Wednesday to find the headlines that inspired these pairings.
Images: TimeOut New York, Newser, NYTimes, ABC News, Slate
Answers to last week's installment:
- "Hank Williams Jr. lashes out at Obama: ‘We’ve got a Muslim for a president who hates cowboys’" (Yahoo News)
- "Iran: If Israel Attacks, We'll Retaliate ... Against US" (Newser)
- "I HAD A FACE TATTOO FOR A WEEK" (Vice)
- "Crime Writer RJ Ellory Caught Faking Amazon Reviews" ABC News)
- "Clint Eastwood's GOP Speech: President Obama, Celebs React to Star's Chair-Talking Ad-Libbing" (eonline)