A weekly series that explores a featured theme by pairing classic quotations with urgent images. What recent news items inspired these textual/visual sets? Leave your guesses in the comments, and check back next Wednesday for the answers.
Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it. Where is there a place for you to be? No place.
"He struggled with himself, too. I saw it — I heard it. I saw the inconceivable mystery of a soul that knew no restraint, no faith, and no fear, yet struggling blindly with itself."
"Language is conceived in sin and science is its redemption."
"Love is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire."
"What we allow the mark of our suffering to become is in our own hands."
See the connections? Write your guesses in the comments — and feel free to leave your own "fire" quotes — and check in next Wednesday to find the headlines that inspired these pairings.
Images: Newser, eonline, Kansas City, Gawker, New Yorker Culture Desk
Answers to last week's installment (aka "I See Some BRRRAAAIIIIINNNNS!"):
- "Henri The Cat Suffers Existential Angst On Halloween" (The Frisky)
- "Disney to Purchase Lucasfilm, Release New ‘Star Wars’ Film" (ExtraTV)
- "On Top Of Everything Else, Daylight Saving Time Ends This Weekend" (The Awl)
- "Skeletal Remains Found In Upended Tree; The Death Investigator Exhumes Skull" (New Haven Independent)
- "Fake Hurricane Sandy Photos Already Spreading Across Web" (Meteorology News)