"There is nothing funny about Halloween. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world."
"Horror is the removal of masks."
"Tis now the very witching time of night,
When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out
Contagion to this world."
"Fear has many eyes and can see things underground."
—Miguel de Cervantes
"We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones."
See the connections? Write your guesses in the comments, and check in next Wednesday to find the headlines that inspired these pairings.
Images: The Frisky, ExtraTV, The Awl, New Haven Independent, Meteorology News
Answers to last week's installment:
- "Paraplegic Survives Desert Stranding" (Newser)
- "Things You Can Be on Halloween Besides Naked!" (Emotistyle)
- "Lindsay Lohan Steals Clothes from Scary Movie 5 Set" (Perez Hilton)
- "The A-hole in the Mirror" (Slate)
- "'Cloud Atlas' Director Lana Wachowski on Coming-Out Speech: 'It Was Just the Universe Saying I Should Do It'" (Hollywood Reporter)