A weekly series that explores a featured theme by pairing classic quotations with urgent images. What recent news items inspired these textual/visual sets? Leave your guesses in the comments, and check back next Wednesday for the answers.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
I can't go on, I'll go on.
I burn with no causes.
There is scarcely any passion without struggle.
Isaiah said each man walks in his own fire
for his sins. Love allows us to walk
in the sweet music of our particular heart.
See the connections? Write your guesses in the comments — and feel free to leave your own "fire" quotes — and check in next Wednesday to find the headlines that inspired these pairings.
Images: New York Times, NBC News, Forbes, CNN, Slate
Answers to last week's ISAV (Election Hangover Edition):
- "Canada Chuckles as US Voters Swear They'll Storm Border" (Newser)
- "Donald Trump vs. Twitter: Alec Baldwin & More Unload After Obama Rant" (eonline)
- "Analysis: Todd Akin can blame his own words for Senate race loss" (Kansas City Star)
- "Los Angeles County Passes Controversial Measure Forcing Porn Stars to Wear Condoms" (Gawker)
- "Checking in on the Bungaloonies" (New Yorker)