A weekly series that explores a featured theme by pairing classic quotations with urgent images. What recent news items inspired these textual/visual sets? Leave your guesses in the comments, and check back next Wednesday for the answers.
“I am a frayed and nibbled survivor in a fallen world, and I am getting along."
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
"Want of money and the distress of a thief can never be alleged as the cause of his thieving, for many honest people endure greater hardships with fortitude. We must therefore seek the cause elsewhere than in want of money, for that is the miser's passion, not the thief's."
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.”
“We speak of the masculine and the feminine, but they are the wrong labels.”
See the connections? Write your guesses in the comments — and feel free to leave your own "pants" quotes — and check in next Wednesday to find the headlines that inspired these pairings.
Images: Newser, Emotistyle, Perez Hilton, Slate, Hollywood Reporter
Answers to last week's installment:
- "Alessandra Ambrosio reveals Victoria’s Secret $2.5M Fantasy Bra Gift set" (New York Daily News)
- "The Next Chapter of Trapped in the Closet Is Here Early" (Vulture)
- "Michelle Obama and Ann Romney’s Matching Pink Debate Outfits: An Analysis [Update]" (New York)
- "Internet goes wild over 'Binders full of women'" (CNN/politicalticker)
- "Ralph Nader: President Obama’s a ‘war criminal’" (Politico)